Monday, May 2, 2011

Addicted Much?

Do you know what the Spartan Race reminded me?

It reminded me What it is like to be a kid. Running through woods and fields, climbing stuff, and getting dirty is good. We as adults often forget that some of the greatest pleasures in life are had doing the simplest things.

Do you know what the Spartan Race taught me?

That you are never too old to be a kid, never too old to try something new, never too old or too busy to set yourself free, even only for an afternoon.

Do you know what the Spartan Race showed me?

That I, too, will troll the internet day after day like some endorphin junkie looking for my next hit. C'mon man, just give me a little 5K to tide me over. I'm good for it. You can trust me. Just gimme a little race... anything... can I climb that wall just once?.... hop over your fence?... can I jump in the Tot's 2K, will totally crush them... I... just... need... a... new... race!

Yes, I know. I need help; but, hey, we all do (you know who I'm talking to). To help curb my withdrawals I resolved to do one race a month, starting in December of 2010. Not a huge commitment but a very doable one and I could not train all the time because: A) I still need to work, be a father, and a husband, B) I have not found anyone who wants to sponsor a late 30s, Type B sudo-athlete, who will never win 1st place but will probably hit on your daughter 3) I am not independently wealthy or have a trust to fund my philanthropic pursuits, aka, me, and D) my wife would leave me for a Swedish bikini model named Alma and send me pictures of what I was missing.

Finding training time was, thankfully, easy. At work I met a group of very attractive women who enjoy running at lunch (Before anyone jumps up and down crying lech I will have you know that I have invited several guys to join our running group and all have declined. It is purely coincidental that I run with women and it is not part of my master plan to be surrounded by scantily clad spandex wearing hot chicks. I swear). I was also able to steal a few hours to run on the weekends because I have a very, VERY patient wife who deals with my inability to sit still like someone who would deal with a 2 year old: equal amounts encouragement and chastisement.

All in all getting prepped for all my races has not been an arduous task. Painful at times, maybe, but not difficult. Much love to the Working Girls (yes, I just named them that... take whatever meaning you wish from it) and my fantastic wife for keeping me out on the roads. You know what they say: "Behind every man is a great woman...

... telling him how he's doing it wrong."

(coming next: “My Brief(?) Summary of Races Gone By”)

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of your blog Todd... keep up the good work. I would agree to age aggressively but I’ve just decided not to age at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the props! As long as I have the drive to hurt myself for the enjoyment of others, I will keep on keeping it on. Age well, but you better earn it!

    ReplyDelete