Friday, April 15, 2011

And so it begins...

I have been meaning to write something about my ongoing adventures for awhile but stuff always seemed to get in my way: laziness, adolescent attention span, something shiny, girls, etc.

My latest endeavors (read: distraction from terminal adultness)... obstacle course races. Time to play a little catch up.

In the summer of 2010 a friend told me about a new event coming into the area called the Spartan Race. For those unfamiliar with these new races, like the Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, Ruckus, Tough Mudder, et al, it is a run/obstacle course of varying length over various terrain filled with various obstacles which, if the race creators have their way, hurt... um, challenge you in various ways.

I had become jaded with my current activities, which mainly consisted of cycling, running, swimming, and gym time. A casual observing might infer that I was a triathlete in training or some other such nonsense but the keen voyeur would correctly assess that all activities have no real goal except that I get to wear spandex.

I had always played around with the idea of entering a cycling or running race just to see how I would fare against those type-A athletes who live, eat, breathe, and poop their sport of choice, but never got around (read: never found the time to click Register Here) to put myself out there with the masses to test my mettle. It was time I did!

… and so I entered my first race ever... the Spartan Race.

(coming next: “What Do You Get When You Mix Mud, Sweat, and Hot Chicks?”)

2 comments:

  1. Joe did a Marine Corps Mud Run a few years back. Looked like a blast...Maybe someday. Doubtful. But he'd like to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no maybe's in life. We either do or do not (thanks Yoda). Life is too short for maybe's. Do now and create your stories. Don't now and spend your life wishing you had more stories. All these races are a blast but do you know what would make it more fun? You and Joe!

    ReplyDelete