Friday, December 9, 2011

Brick Training (part 1): It's for Winners

I officially started my brick training for the 2012 triathlon season.  Oh yeah, who's ahead of the game?  Me. That's who.  Damn straight.  Ahead.  Of.  The.  Game.  Me.  Winner.  You?  Not so much.  In case you are unfamiliar with brick training, unlike those of us "in the know", brick training is practicing two or more activities, one after the other.  For triathletes it usually means going for a run or ride after a swim, or running after cycling, etc.  This allows our bodies to become accustomed to the stress placed upon it by the different athletic disciples contained within a triathlon.  In layman's terms, it will help make us better triathletes.  Since I am a well-seasoned* triathlete, I can concur that brick training is a complete necessity to triathlon glory.

So let me reiterate:  I have started my brick training for the 2012 season this week, and I included all three elements of the race.  Where it is very early in the 2012 season, it being 2011, I thought it would be wise to start easy.  I didn't want to go too far too fast and risk injury this soon.  I have a whole new year coming for that.

I began with an easy half mile swim in the pool.  I did not hold a competitive pace.  It was relaxed, steady, but brimming with confidence.  After the swim*, I joined some friends for a brisk 5-miler.  We kept a strong 7:30 pace along our route, which was just enough to keep the blood pumping, and the timing* was perfect because it allowed me to finish up with an hour indoor cycling class.  Cycling is where I feel most comfortable.  I allowed myself to open up a bit more on the bike than I did with the other two disciplines and really hammer the pedals.

Obviously the training season is not in full swing but I am pleasantly surprised that I was able to complete a strong round of brick training this early into it.  I can only hope that the ease I felt this week and the strength I had throughout my training session will be an indicator of my training sessions to come, and my overall 2012 season.  Who's ready for the 2012 season? 

I am.  That's who.

* Editors note: Please be aware that this man is an idiot.  There was a span of six hours between his swim and his run.  Also, there was a span of five hours between running and cycling.  He has never completed real brick training and probably never will.  He has no idea what he is talking about.  I am surprised that he managed as well as he did over the course of a day.  Any expert triathlon advice he gives is usually devoid of any facts or real life experiences.  I mean, how much advice can he really give?  He's only done one triathlon.  Well-seasoned by arse.  Who's not ready for the 2012 season?  Him.  That's who.

No comments:

Post a Comment