Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect? (part deux)

Swim lessons are over. I have a lot of work to do. I have to swim a 1/3 mile in September. At present I can manage a 1/3 of a 1/3 mile, which is, what, 1/9? Pitiful. I guess I should be pleased considering that 4 weeks ago I could not manage 50 yards without feeling like I was having a heart attack. Our coach, Scotty, insists that we just need more practice to feel comfortable in the water. How dare she use logic against me! That 'practice' theory of hers flies in the face of all my well-oiled excuses. Fine, practice it is then.

5:30am at the lake is many things. Quiet. Peaceful. Relaxing. Spooky.

In the distance a blue heron sounds off her mournful call. A fish jumps, causing a sudden splash. There is low fog covering the surface of the water. I am the only one at the lake. No one is up at 5:30 in the morning. No one, of course, except for zombies. Homicidal zombie maniacs lying in wait for anyone silly enough to wake up this early in the morning. Yup, this is what I am thinking as I put on my wetsuit and enter the water. Thankfully the impending threat of drowning curbs my fear of the undead. Unless there are water zombies. Crap.

Coach Scotty recommends that we always swim with a partner, even better if you can have someone in a kayak join you in case of emergencies. This is the best, most sensible way to do it. I've invited several people to join in on the early morning fun. Most scrunch up their face, wrinkle their nose, and respond with a resounding no. The others laugh and tell me there's no chance in heck. They all know about the lake zombies. So I have been swimming alone.

All in all swimming is, not surprisingly, getting better. Having a wetsuit makes things easier. I don't have to work at staying afloat while trying to work at propelling myself forward. I get to be buoyant which means less sinking. This is good. The wetsuit let's me focus on swimming technique. It's starting to be less seizure, more frantic freestyle. I guess Scotty is right. Practice will make you better; but the zombies reaching up from the bottom of the lake will make you faster.

----

If you are interested in learning how to swim better, or want to try your first tri but are uneasy about the swimming section, contact the Salem Athletic Club (www.SAC-NH.com) and ask for Scotty. I've asked around and Scotty is synonymous with swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment