Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dammit! I'm a Runner: 2012 Groton Road Race 10K

Crap.

I'm a runner.

Double crap.

I never wanted to be one, but I think I am.

I started this racing-one-a-month thing to stay in shape but I insisted to myself and everyone else that I would not become a runner.  Runners are psychotic.  Runners fawn over things like new sneakers and mile averages and pace times and PRs and splits and running.

I hate running.  It's arduous and time-consuming and it keeps me away from more important things like criticizing runners.

How did I come to this epiphany, you ask?  It was at the 2012 Groton Road Race.

It's a great event and very well organized.  Groton is a beautiful town to have a race and the event coordinators have created a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.  They have everything you want in a race.  Plenty of food and drink.  People of all ages and skill levels.  Superb start and finish lines.  Pace clocks at every(?) mile.  Announcers who give the fans a run-down of runners coming in for the finish line.  Vendors.  A live band.  To make it even better, they close all the roads during the race so no cars can interfere.  It's just for the runners.

My annual Tough Mudder adventure in Vermont was a week away and I didn't want to overdo any training that might affect my performance.  I decided to use the Groton Road Race as a nice, casual 10K jog to keep my legs loose.  I usually run with one or more friends and we have our own friendly competition when together.  This race I was running solo.  This meant no competitiveness, no worrying about pace or PRs or time.  This was all about enjoying the scenery and the beautiful day.

The motto of the race was to be "Take It Easy," and easy I shall.

At the starting line I chatted with a few of the other runners who couldn't help noticing my calm, easy- going demeanor.  Or my Captain America mask and undies.  The starting gun fired and we were off.  Time to enjoy the relaxed pace.

Heroically heading to the 1st mile
Hey, I'm already at the first mile.  Sweet.  Let's check the pace clock and... 6:40!  Whoa, time to slow it down a bit.  What are you doing?  Look around and enjoy the scenery.  Slow it down.  Take it easy, remember?

I love the rolling hills of Groton with its cow pastures and farm land.  Second mile water stop is packed with volunteers!  They're cheering on the competitors!  They're cheering on the Captain!  They're applauding!  The love me!  Wait, they're laughing!  They love my undies!  You have to respect people who respect the undies.  Pace clock coming up...  13:something... Didn't I tell you to slow it down?!  This is not a race.  Today is suppose to be about communing with nature or something like that.  Slow it down.

I thought I was.  Slowing it down.  I wasn't.  Apparently, I couldn't.  Every mile clock told me as much.

For the entirety of the 10K I convinced myself I was taking it easy, that I was running slower than I could have.  I honestly felt this way over the 6.2 mile course.  Yes, I still sprinted the last 330 meters to the finish line, but it's on a school track and that's what you do on a track.  You sprint.  Plus, if you're wearing a Captain America mask you have to represent.... your sheer awesomeness or lack of shame, I forget which.
Representing the undies
Final time - 43:14.  Pace - 6:58.

Did I do better than last year?  Yup.  Did I try harder last year?  Yup.  Did I drop 30 seconds from last year's pace?  Yup.

Year - Pl   Name                      Time   Pace   Gender Pl    Age Group Pl 
2012 - 45   Todd Spencer              43:14  6:58   43/254       9/52
2011 - 84   Todd Spencer              46:28  7:29   72/284       21/67
Did I become something I swore up and down I would not become?  Regrettably, undeniably, psychotically, most definitely, yes.

Now who wants to talk about the latest minimalist trail sneakers while running negative splits over a ten mile course which I usually hold a 7:20 average pace but I think we're ready to set a new personal record because I read an article that says if we keep pace to songs with a certain BPM, that's beat's per minute, we can create a rhythm which will decrease our overall pace time.....

2 comments:

  1. I love Groton! Going camping there next weekend, and I'll bet that was a beautiful course. Good for you on your PR, I can't believe anyone runs that fast.

    I'm looking forward to reading about your Tough Mudder experience. I did it on Sunday May 6th...went into it with a 3 weeks old sprained ankle and 24 hrs after a red-eye from San Francisco. I didn't think I'd start that day and lo and behold, I finished...with a little hypothermia at the end. :( Hope you did much better than me!

    Jess Day (GreenMtnLabbit on BT forums which is how I found myself here, I think.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess, for the compliment. Still feel too slow.

      Congrats on Tough Mudder! Looks like you had some obstacles to get over before the race even started. You are definitely made of tough stuff managing Mudder with a bum ankle and some jet lag. Impressive! We did Mudder on May 6th as well and it was a great time. Will hopefully have part 1 of 3 out soon for your reader pleasure. Good luck with your future races.

      Delete